Sunday, April 15, 2012

Apple Pie For Breakfast

No, this is not an homage to my father-in-law who actually eats apple pie for breakfast. I don't really have anything interesting to write so I thought I would send out a recipe that I invented. I am not a person who typically invents a recipe. I am a person who follows recipes exactly and never sways from doing exactly what it tells you to do. My mom is a person who, when you ask how she made the fabulous dinner you just ate replies "I don't know. I just threw it together". She makes these fabulous portabello mushrooms. She says she just sautees them in olive oil and garlic. It sounds easy enough but when I make them they end up looking (and tasting) like a dog's dinner. Is that genetic do you suppose? This ability to throw things together and make a fabulous meal? Will I ever possess that ability?

Well I've gotten a tiny step closer with this recipe. It's nothing groundbreaking but it tastes damn good. I actually did just throw it together without measuring so the measurements are approximate. You might need to adjust accordingly.

Here it is:

Apple Pie for Breakfast
1/2 cup of quick oats
1 tsp. ground flax seed (optional but highly recommended because it's so good for you!)
3/4 cup almond milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 dashes cinnamon
handful chopped walnuts or pecans

Put the oats, flax seed, and almond milk in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 45 seconds. Stir in applesauce and cinnamon and sprinkle nuts on top.

You could probably make it with regular milk but I think it tastes better with the almond milk. Almond milk also has as much or more of the good stuff (calcium, iron) and as much or less of the bad stuff (fat, sugar, animal cruelty) than regular milk. You can also cook it on the stovetop if you want but it's way quicker in the microwave.

So there you go! It seriously tastes like apple pie with no added sugar (just what's in the almond milk and naturally occurs in the applesauce) and it has lots or iron, vitamin C, and protein to start your day!

Here's another recipe courtesy of Asha. It's called Puddling Poo. Now I thought it sounded like what would result if you ate too many Christmas oranges but apparently it's delicious. I'm told it looks like poo but tastes like chocolate. I've tasted it and I beg to differ...

Puddling Poo
Sand
Sea water
Seashells (optional)

Fill a bucket 3/4 full with dry sand. Get a very small container and ask your mom to go scoop some sea water out of the ocean for you repeatedly. Continue until she says she's had enough of going back and forth and the mixture has a mud-like consistency. Season with seashells to taste. This is particularly delicious if you take it home and let it sit for several days (if you can convince your mom to let you take it home. Mine wouldn't let me.)

Hmm... Maybe the ability to throw ingredients together skips a generation??

4 comments:

  1. awww - Asha, we miss you! that made me laugh out loud :)
    I am definitely going to try (the first) recipe.... reminds me of one that I make in the slow cooker overnight (you wake up to the smell of apple pie in the morning... fantastic!). Just use chopped apples rather than sauce and add a bit of water so it doesn't burn & stick to your stoneware thereby enraging the dishwasher (ahem). I also add some 12grain cereal just for my own mommy-satisfaction! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that sounds good. Isn't the slow cooker the best damn thing ever invented?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make up recipes all the time....some more successful than others. :) LOVE Asha's - I think you have a culinary GENIUS in the making with that one! :)

    are you still going to blog once you're back? because I will miss it if you don't....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know if I'll keep blogging. It's one thing to blog when you're doing something interesting (i.e., uprooting your family and moving to L.A.) but it's another thing when you're just a regular Joe in Edmonton! Although some of the best bloggers are just regular people, aren't they! We'll see!

      Delete